The keyword planning strategy is the basis of any content marketing campaign and has a significant impact on the SEO of your website.
In keyword planning strategy, our primary goal is figuring out what our target audience is searching for and then understanding that what it will take to rank for those keywords.
To have a winning search engine marketing campaign, developing a Keyword planning strategy is essential. In your keyword planning strategy, you should drive relevant traffic to your business by selecting high-performing keywords. What can make a difference in your campaigns; is choosing the right keywords for advertising. A correct keyword planning strategy can determine how well your advertisements rank on the Google search engine.
The best strategy relies on highly relevant keywords. And these keywords should entirely be related to our business or industry.
To achieve success, we should employ keyword discovery tools to compile a complete list of keywords. Moreover, how much your keywords are competitive is essential. Discovering the sweet spot of less competitive but highly relevant keywords is the secret to a successful keyword planning strategy.
How to plan a keyword strategy to impact on SEO
Now we want to talk about the keyword research process that we can follow and will help us come up with a list of terms we should be targeting. It will help us to establish and execute a strong keyword planning strategy to find the search terms you should consider.
Step 1: Make a list of relevant and essential topics based on your information about your own business.
At first, to do this process, you should think about the topics you want to rank for as a generic bucket. You will have between about 5 to 10 topic buckets that you think are important to your startup or business. Then after it, you will use those topic buckets to help yourself for finding some specific keywords to use in your keyword planning strategy.
Step 2: Fill in the topic buckets with specific keywords
When you determine the topic buckets that you have to focus on, now you should identify some specific keywords that are related to those buckets. The keywords you have used are essential for ranking purposes in the search engine results pages because your target clients are probably doing searches for those specific keywords that you have considered.
Step 3: Importance of user intent on keyword planning strategy
One of the essential factors in ranking on search engines such as Google is user intent. Instead of simply carries the keyword that the searcher used, our website should address the problem a searcher intended to solve. For example, you may want to set keywords for the face value, and it can have many different meanings beneath the surface. The intent behind searching a keyword is significant for Google ranking. Therefore, you have to be very careful about the issue of how you interpret the keywords you have targeted.
Step 4: Do research about the related search terms
To choose your keywords effectively, you can easily take a look at the related search terms that appear when you search a keyword into Google. You can find some suggestions related to the original input that you have searched at the bottom of Google’s results page. These keyword suggestions can create more practical ideas for other keywords that you may want to consider.
Step 5: Use keyword research tools
There are some useful keyword research and SEO tools that can help you to find more keyword ideas according to the exact match keywords and the ideas that you have generated previously. Some of these tools are such as Ahrefs, SEMrush, and Ubersuggest. In this way, you might have more alternatives that you may not have considered them before doing this step.
WordStream’s Keyword Strategy Tool
Keyword planning and optimization strategies are mostly related to discovering valuable keywords. But finding such keywords manually could be very time-consuming and challenging. For this purpose, WordStream has been proposed a useful tool for finding and utilizing these valuable keywords, and we can use it as a part of our keyword planning strategy.
WordStream’s Free Keyword Tool enables us to:
- Research Keywords: This tool helps you with discovering relevant web keywords and long-tail keywords, as well as keyword suggestions.
- Analyze Keywords: The keyword analyzer in this tool allows you to employ the power of keyword analytics to understand how to craft keyword groups. It will help you with bringing the most relevant web traffics to your website.
- Group Keywords: Another feature of WordStream’s tool is its ability to organize the keywords into themed keyword groups such that it will improve relevancy and Quality Score.
Useful tools for determining the value of a keyword
In addition to the WordStream’s tool, there are some other useful software tools we can consider in our keyword planning strategy. The following tools can help you to figure out how much value would a keyword add to your website and so you can use them to achieve their advantages:
- Moz Keyword Explorer: This tool gives you some information such as monthly search volume and SERP features that are ranking for that keyword. You can easily give your keyword as an input in Moz Keyword Explorer and get this useful information. By employing live clickstream data, Keyword Explorer will extract precise search volume data. In this software, the higher keyword’s difficulty score will lead to more difficulty for ranking that particular term.
- Google Trends: A great tool that you can use for your keyword planning strategy is Google’s keyword trend tool. It is useful for finding seasonal keyword fluctuations. For example, you can find out that the usage of the “funny Halloween costume ideas” term has been increased in the weeks before Halloween.
- AnswerThePublic: AnswerThePublic is a free tool that helps you with finding the commonly searched terms related to the questions around a specific keyword. You can also use this software in parallel with Keywords Everywhere, which is another free tool. In this way, you will have the ability to prioritize ATP’s suggestions by the search volume.
- SpyFu Keyword Research Tool: It provides you some competitive keyword data. You should only enter a keyword into the search bar, and this tool will show you the top domains, how they have ranked over a period, and which links helped them get there.
- Google Keyword Planner: Historically, Google Keyword Planner (GKP) is the most common starting point for keyword planning strategies. However, by taking keywords together into large search volume range buckets, this tool will restrict search volume data.
Considering the importance and wide usage of Google Keyword Planner in keyword planning strategy, we will check it with more details in the rest of the article. You can also read about the 11 Best Keyword Research Tools in our blog.
Scanning your website for keyword ideas by Google Keyword Planner
One of the easiest ways for generating keyword ideas within your keyword planning strategy is by scanning your website via GKP. It will create a list of keyword ideas according to the content of your website.
Scanning the website in the Google Keyword Planner can be helpful for the following reasons:
1. Branded Keyword Data
Scanning a website helps you with figuring out the search volumes related to your branded keywords. For example, the GKP shows 450 monthly searches for the name of our website (at the date of publishing this article!), ARDOXSO. So you can quickly achieve this information on how many searchers have searched your brands.
2. Organic search performance data
By using Google Keyword Planner, you can also attain information on how Google observes your current organic SEO efforts, and besides, how the suggested keywords match your SEO targets.
The results you gain in this way give you more information about the main point that what Google thinks your website is all about. You can find targeting opportunities and plan for your keyword strategy based on the monthly search volumes that Google Keyword Planner identifies for your keywords.
3. Evaluate your competitor’s keywords
Another advantage of employing the GKP in your keyword planning strategy is that it will help you with expanding the list of search term ideas. Furthermore, you can scan your competitor’s websites to learn more about what they have done and what keyword planning strategy they have employed. It can help you with figuring out the competitive search landscape in your business market.
Finally, you should remember that today you do not need to think about keywords in volumes. What is more important for your keyword planning strategy is in terms of intent and how valuable your keywords are to the market. Besides, some useful tools can help you with planning a great and successful keyword strategy. And also, it is crucial to teach and inform your customers about a modern keyword planning strategy and let them know why things are good or bad ideas.